View homes in Chastain Park:
- Less than $350,000
- Between $350,000 and $500,000
- Between $500,000 and $750,000
- Between $750,000 and $1,000,000
- More than $1,000,000
Chastain Park History
Rolling hills and lush, larger lots are characteristics of the Chastain Park neighborhood. The popular North Buckhead neighborhood surrounds Chastain Park, the largest and one of the most popular parks in the city of Atlanta. Residents of Chastain Park enjoy walking to the huge park for its shady playgrounds, picnic areas, public golf course and swimming pool, famed outdoor amphitheater, and horse stables.
Homes in Chastain Park range from new mansions to mid-century ranch style homes. It is located inside the perimeter and is in close proximity to Buckhead’s best shopping and dining, as well as several excellent public and private schools. It has a large and active neighborhood association.
Chastain Park is the centerpiece of the vision of former County Commissioner Troy Chastain for the development of North Fulton County in the early 1940’s. It was through the efforts of Chastain, his fellow commissioners and local business leaders that the Park was created and it remains very similar to the purpose envisioned more than 50 years ago.
Creek Indians once lived in the floodplain of Nancy Creek and farmed the area, which is now known as the North Fulton Golf Course. Just south of Wieuca Road where the ball fields are located was the site of the Creek Indian Village. Over the years the floodplain in this area has been filled in more than ten feet. The State Archeologist believes that remains of an ancient Indian village exists below the fill.
All of the property was originally part of Henry County, which became DeKalb County in 1840. Fulton County acquired the property at the turn of the century. The original parcel was approximately 1000 acres. Fulton County planned to use the property to build a new almshouse for the county poor. In 1909 the County constructed the two almshouses on Wieuca Road. In 1936, the Fulton County Commission changed the name of the facilities to Haven Home. The almshouses remained in use until 1952. The brick structure currently houses Galloway School and the frame building the Chastain Arts and Crafts Center.
Chastain Park currently totals 268 acres. The remainder of the original approximate 1000 acres was sold for development in the 1940’s. To encourage residential development in North Fulton, the County Commission decided to provide a major recreation facility on the farmland. Many of the current facilities including the pool, bathhouse, stables, picnic areas and lakes were built under their direction in the 1940’s by the WPA and labor from the prison farm.