Sandy Springs originated as a watering stop for Native-Americans who frequented its bubbling springs, and quickly became a community in the 1800’s as settlers moved into the area. In 1842, the oldest house in Sandy Springs, the Austin-Johnson House, was erected on what is now Johnson Ferry Road, and in 1851 Wilson Spruill donated 5 acres of land for the founding of the Sandy Springs United Methodist Church near the springs. So began the development of the area that would become the city’s center.
Today, the original “sandy springs” can be found at Heritage Green, a four-acre city park that is operated by Heritage Sandy Springs, a non-profit organization dedicated to the history and culture of the community. Residents and visitors alike love the Heritage Green and the many concerts, festivals and events that are held there.
Incorporated in 2005, Sandy Springs is Georgia’s sixth largest city and the second largest city in the metropolitan Atlanta area. Prior to 2005, the community had relied upon a large county government for the provision of services, which residents felt did not adequately meet their needs. The result was a desire for a streamlined government physically closer and responsive to community needs.
- Heards Ferry Elementary School
- Ridgeview Charter Middle School
- Riverwood International Charter High School